First of its kind, CCMC’s 2021 Customer Delight Study is an independent scientific large-scale study of the market impact of employing fifteen unique strategies to delight customers.
Contradicting a recent Harvard Business Review article entitled, Don’t Delight Your Customers, study findings show that delighting customers may indeed be your most powerful marketing tool, leading to:
- Customer retention,
- Word-of-mouth, and
- Increased profits
Sponsored by VIPdesk, in April 2021, CCMC undertook a web-based panel survey of more than 2,500 individuals with annual household incomes over $100,000. The study focused on products or services purchased in the prior twelve months.
66% percent of the respondents reported being delighted with a customer experience in the past 12 months. Delighted respondents were asked follow-up questions about the type of delighter experienced, its impact, the business’s method of communication, and the customer’s willingness to pay more for the product or service in the future.
Those who did not report a delightful experience were queried about their most positive customer experience in the prior twelve months. This baseline of satisfied customers was compared to those delighted to quantify the lift from delight.
Who Benefits from the Customer Delight Study Findings?
The findings are relevant to businesses selling to high-end customers. Executives and employees in the following groups will especially want to understand the study results:
- C-Suite executives, especially marketing and sales, for the big, enhanced word-of- mouth and cross-selling benefits of creating customer delight;
- Technology executives, for learning how tech, done right, can delight as often as people; and
- Quality, Continuous Improvement and Service Staff for affirmation of the time it takes to educate, empathize and connect with customers.
2021 National Customer Delight Study Infographic
What Are Some of the Key Take-Aways and Core Findings?
- Inexpensive delighters, such as enthusiasm and empathy, are as effective as costly monetary ones;
- Honesty and transparency are powerful delighters regardless of the news;
- Digital channels (email and chat) can create as much delight as in person and telephone channels;
- Affluent customers will pay more for the same product to businesses that delight;
- Higher-income, delighted men produce more positive WOM than other customer groups;
- Delight could be your single best marketing tool as the data shows at least one new customer is won for each customer you delight.
DELIGHT STUDY RELATED MATERIALS
- Little Things Mean A lot (PDF), Goodman, Broetzmann, Hollman & Hurley, Quirks
- Five Reasons To Invest In Customer Delight, Goodman, Call Center Times
- The Elusive 8th Simple Way to Raise Customer Quality, Steve Curtin
Want to get the 2021 Customer Delight Study?
Learn all key findings and what they mean by requesting the full study using this form: